Topics

Point of view! #pov

DMR Quebec
 

Re: [mmdvm] Alternative DMR master for MMDVM

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:29 PM
 Mark as Unread
From: 
"'Lars Struss' dk7lst@... [mmdvm]" <mmdvm@...>
To: 
mmdvm@...

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 20. Juli 2016 um 09:21 Uhr
> Von: "Uwe Schmidtmann dj3ow@... [mmdvm]" <mmdvm@...>
> I can see your point, but I still agree with Matthew. There are three
> Major networks in Germany at this point. Even with those it is annoying
> enough to have a connected repeater but still not beeing able to talk to
> your friends because their repeater works on one of the other networks.
> The real goal should be to get the networks properly connected to each
> other, not to create another island.

I have to disagree with Uwe, but I think we are touching a very important question on how HAM-DMR should work in the future, which cannot be under-estimated and should be discussed.

Network fragmentation can of course be a problem and quite annoying when you just want to call some other person.

But is it the goal to create a centralized international telco-like structure which every one can use, but only a few are allowed to look backstage?

I don't think that a centralized network is a long term solution. For now it is perhaps fine as a milestone, but for the future I think there is no alternative to having a set of many connected autonomous networks. For me, it's like the old days in history, where people used proprietary online service like AOL and CompuServe (or BTX in Germany). They are mostly forgotten by now, because the Internet took over their role. The most important difference: The Internet is not a single network, it is a whole bunch of countless independent networks maintained by many different people, but all sharing a common philosophy and standards, agreed in a (more or less) democratic process.

There a many good reasons for decentralization:
- Ham radio is about learning about technology. Everyone should be allowed to learn about the network side too, instead of just being a "user".
- Many different local regulations. A monolithic network has to be a one-fits-all-compromise sacrificing many interesting features.
- Avoiding a single point of failure, especially in emergency situations (a situation where ham radio is still superior to many commercial networks!).
- Sections of the network may be easily isolated for some period of time for testing without compromising the stability of the rest of the network.
- Less bottlenecks-problems because traffic is distributed in a better way, the network is able to find routes around broken nodes on its own.
- The knowledge is already available as the HAMNET is organized in a similar way to the public internet. Don't re-event the wheel, build on existing modern technology. And HAMNET proves, that ham radio amateurs are able to coordinate large networks, too.

To speak only for my person, I'm quite happy with my mobile phone to contact people all over the world. I don't need a perfect network. I want to learn. I want to find out about technology - every one is only about voice calls but DMR is much more. I'm very interested in creating data connections like used in packet radio and perhaps developing some kind of mobile instant messenger connected to an DMR device for data transport.

We shouldn't limit our possibilities but extend our knowledge, experiment, communicate, play and have fun!

lars (DK7LST)